Random Sci-Fi, Nerdy stuff, Reviews, Gossip, Bullshit, and outright lies.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" my 64bit experince


Well Canonical made another great OS that gets the job done and looks great. The Price can't be beat it's got a complete Office Suite for students or even business with Open Office. Craploads of Free games, but most of all it has Internet access that just works. The Driver models really seem universal and just work.

Unfortunately it still has the same damned basic fatal flaw that every Linux OS has. Making it work "to it's potential" is still a Hobby, it dosn't "Just Work." I was setting up the Dual Monitors and realized that it's not intuitive and frankly the method for making Dual Monitors work is a work around/Hack that I honestly don't think the average user would figure out. First you have allow the "Proprietary Drivers" and then you have to mess with the NVIDIA X-Server program by editing it in the freaking terminal, and the way they put allowing propriety drivers comes across like they're talking down at you like a bunch of elitist assholes, "Oh your going to use those corporate whores drivers." Don't be mad at me that's the way it comes across. Making it work was a royal pain in the ass to figure out, it requires ass loads of research or just grabbing one of the Linux Guru's to walk you through it. In my case I'm in it for the challenge so I went through the work of figuring it out but looking back on it while it was a great troubleshooting experience for me it's a very poor user experience. I'm also running the 64bit version of the new Ubuntu and was a little bummed to discover that the Adobe Flash equivalents in 64bit are still buggy as hell but there has been a slight improvement, sort of. They apparently removed the controls for watching flash video so you can watch it without crashing but now there is no pause, fast forward, volume change, ect.

All in all, it seems as solid, awesome, and bad as Ubuntu 8.10 now that I think about it in fact I'm not noticing much difference. The changes must be deep under the hood because I haven't noticed anything really different yet. To A point Ubuntu is still a Hobby not an OS that can be recommended professionally. In the hands of a nerd it's a great alternative, for the average user, it feels like it's ruined by the poor hand off of the proprietary drivers, that part actually has made several people I know who tried it quit.

EDIT: Wow suddenly one of my big gripes as a hobby OS went away. The Flash Video suddenly started working correctly and really seems a lot more stable. And WinE (the Windows Emulator) does seem to work a lot better. That could be potentially game changing if they can get the propietary games to work somewhat fluently.

Just did another reinstall of Ubuntu. Fixed a problem I was having with the Compiz Fusion but now I can't get the Nvidia X-ServerConfig to save the file for some reason. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308868

EDIT: Well I guess I spoke too soon. It's been a few days and flash is just starting to stutter like it used too. Thinking maybe I'll try the 32bit version next week sometime.

No comments:

WAKE UP PEOPLE: The New World Order is here

This pretty clearly explains the Democrats failure to get their agenda done. They're not actually in power.

My Hulk Playlist

Thomas Jefferson Quotes

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The system of banking we have both equally and ever reprobated. I contemplate it as a blot left in all our constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction. I sincerely believe, with you...that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
- Thomas Jefferson

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition. The incorporation of a bank, and the powers assumed by this bill [chartering the first Bank of the United States] have not, in my opinion, been delegated to the United States by the Constitution. They are not among the powers specially enumerated."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution - taking from the Federal government their power of borrowing (from privately-owned corporate banks)."
- Thomas Jefferson

"We are undone, my dear sir, if legislation is still permitted which makes our money, much or little, real or imaginary, as the moneyed interests shall choose to make it."
- Thomas Jefferson


Makes one wonder witch party he'd support? Neither

Bio

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Online handle has been Breetai since '88