Random Sci-Fi, Nerdy stuff, Reviews, Gossip, Bullshit, and outright lies.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Why I use Firefox over Internet Exploder


That picture is the only reason I use firefox... No wait... There WAS a day when I promoted Firefox for Security. That day is long gone FireFox is as insecure as I.E. now thanks to the fact that the security through obscurity model fails when you become popular. At least now that they're pretty close to equals in real world Market Share as well as security now. However there is still one clear cut advantage to FireFox that dominates over other Browsers.

Add-Ons. These are little tools that enhance the browser in many ways. The good ones are usually 3rd Party and almost always open source and free, occasionally Mozilla offers some as optional stuff as well through the add-ons system, but they all tend to be a double edged sword. The more crap you stuff into the browser, the more unstable it gets. It's good and bad, mostly you just need to limit yourself to no more than half a dozen or so add-ons and you'll be fine. Unless of course you get two add ons that conflict with each other for some reason.

Anyway here's the ones I like.

ColorfulTabs
This allows your to assign a color to the tabs when your on a specific website. So when you have a bunch of different tabs all over the place it makes identifying whats where easier.

DownloadHelper
This is fucking awesome for downloading anything. Especially flash Video. Since I use Ubuntu 64 a lot this is kind of a great work around to how crappy flash is on Ubuntu 64.

Flashblock:
This is a kick ass security and add blocking tool. It blocks ALL flash from running until you allow it. It can be a little on the annoying side when dealing with legitimate websites like my bank or shopping sites but I still feel it's worth it.

NoScript:
This is similar to the Flash Blocking tool in that it blocks all scripts on a website.

Morning Coffee:
This is basically a tool that starts up specific websites on certain days at certain times ect... When you start up in the morning it starts up specific websites that you have assigned and it's just a really cool tool. I like to use it so that when I get home it starts up some news sites n stuff or when I get to work it starts up my work related newsgroups. I guess I use it mostly for newsgroups that helps me make sure I'm staying up to speed with certain subjects. In a lot of ways for what I do they're interactive news sites.

I didn't cover other browsers and there are some good ones, but there's only a few other good browsers though. Opera and Google's Chrome come to mind. Opera has some great widgets that are similar to the Firefox Add-ons and actually some are better. They're on par with Google's desktop gadgets but that's a different level of add-ons I don't need nor want in a browser. Then There is Google's Chrome, The lack of add-ons for this makes it a super fast and stable browser but the address bar being a key-logger makes it an unacceptable product.

If your observant you might have noticed I never did go back and deny that the pic is the only reason I still use Firefox. Do you need one? I Looove Boobs.

No comments:

WAKE UP PEOPLE: The New World Order is here

This pretty clearly explains the Democrats failure to get their agenda done. They're not actually in power.

My Hulk Playlist

Thomas Jefferson Quotes

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a moneyed aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power (of money) should be taken away from the banks and restored to the people to whom it properly belongs."
- Thomas Jefferson

"The system of banking we have both equally and ever reprobated. I contemplate it as a blot left in all our constitutions, which, if not covered, will end in their destruction. I sincerely believe, with you...that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale."
- Thomas Jefferson

"To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition. The incorporation of a bank, and the powers assumed by this bill [chartering the first Bank of the United States] have not, in my opinion, been delegated to the United States by the Constitution. They are not among the powers specially enumerated."
- Thomas Jefferson

"I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution - taking from the Federal government their power of borrowing (from privately-owned corporate banks)."
- Thomas Jefferson

"We are undone, my dear sir, if legislation is still permitted which makes our money, much or little, real or imaginary, as the moneyed interests shall choose to make it."
- Thomas Jefferson


Makes one wonder witch party he'd support? Neither

Bio

My photo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Online handle has been Breetai since '88